Quick Start Guide for Dual Depth Sensor Configuration
From iPiSoft Wiki
For the impatient:
- Get two Microsoft Kinect sensors, or ASUS Xtion Live sensors, or PrimeSense Carmine 1.08 sensors
- To choose see Depth Sensors Comparison
- Get computer with DirectX 10 videocard and at least two USB 2.0 or 3.0 controllers
- Download iPi Recorder and iPi Mocap Studio
- Install iPi Recorder and iPi Mocap Studio
- Find a suitable space (9 by 5 feet minimum)
- Actor should be dressed in casual slim clothing, avoid shiny fabrics
- Connect depth sensors to PC
- Note that both sensors can't be connected through one and the same USB 2.0/3.0 controller
- Point them at the actor (the angle between two depth sensors can be in the range 60-90 degrees, or near to 180 degrees)
- For calibration, take flat rectangular cardboard, and use iPi Recorder to record calibration video
- Please ensure that the calibration board is visible in both sensors. Turn the calibration board to the left and to the right, holding it vertically in front of yourself on outstretched arms.
- Record video of actor's performance. Please ensure that the whole body including arms and legs is visible during the performance in both sensors. Start from a T-pose. Then goes actor’s performance.
- Run iPi Mocap Studio to process actor performance video
- Import your character into iPi Mocap Studio (File >Import Target Character) to adapt the animation for your character rig
- Export your animation in a desired format
For more details see User Guide for Dual Depth Sensor Configuration.