NEW! Version 3 of iPi Motion Capture is available. iPi Motion Capture 3 delivers new features for improved workflow including support of Kinect 2, improved arms tracking, simplified calibration and others. Read more >>
This documentation corresponds to version 2 of iPi Motion Capture. The latest documentation for version 3 can be found at https://docs.ipisoft.com/
From iPiSoft Wiki
Introduction to Multiple GPUs in iPi Mocap Studio
Starting with version 2.4 of iPi Mocap Studio, you can use multiple GPUs to speed up tracking. You should be aware of the following limitations:
- You can use only 1, 2 or 4 GPUs inside one PC. Other configurations (for example, 3 GPUs) are not supported.
- Currently we recommend using only single-GPU video cards (e.g. NVidia GTX 780). iPi Soft never tested multi-GPU video cards like NVidia GTX 690, and it is not known if there is a way to disable SLI/Crossfire for multi-GPU video card (to make it usable in iPi Mocap Studio).
- For best efficiency, all GPUs must be of approximately the same performance. iPi Mocap Studio cannot balance load for multiple GPUs with different performance levels, so mixing low-end and high-end GPUs will result in very poor performance.
- Due to synchronization overhead, performance scaling is not linear. Performance gain diminishes with the number of GPUs. Using second identical GPU will speed up tracking approximately by a factor of 1.6 (instead of factor of 2, as one might expect).
- Performance gain is more noticeable for large number of cameras (for example, 8 cameras). If you are using just 1 Kinect camera (or other single depth sensor), you may experience negligible performance improvement from a multi-GPU configuration.
- Combining multiple low-end GPUs makes little sense. You may achieve much better performance by upgrading to a single high-end gaming GPU like NVidia GTX 780.
- Multiple GPUs usage is available only in STANDARD edition. In other editions you can try this functionality but in this case all results will be saved in restricted trial format which prohibits export of result animation.
How to Configure Multiple GPUs
To configure your multiple video cards for use in iPi Mocap Studio, you should perform the following steps:
- Disable SLI or Crossfire
- Extend Windows desktop to use additional video adapters. Go to the following path in Windows Control Panel:
Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display > Screen Resolutionand select Multiple displays: Extend these displays for your additional video cards. Click Apply button.
- Restart iPi Mocap Studio. Now it should be able to use your additional GPUs.